Happy New Year Hauteies! I am super excited for The Hautemommie this year and all of the great things that lie ahead. I’m sure all of us needed the holiday break after the whirlwind that 2016 was, but 2017 has arrived! Truthfully 2016 was a fruitful year for me and I’m looking to bring that same spirit in the new year. Speaking of newness and rejuvenating, today’s post is all about renewing your closet for the new year. Don’t feel pressured to buy a whole slew of items, instead grab some basics during the season’s half yearly sales and bring some umph to your wardrobe.
- A new coat – Y’all I am in dire need of coat. And don’t even let me hear you say, “you live in Cali, why do you need a coat?” It’s chilly, okay. Tundra, no? But cold nips? Yes. Here are some of the options I’ve been eyeing:
As you can see color and length are calling my name. When the skies are drab and dreary the best way to perk up is by pulling some color any way you can. Cobalt, red, or a blush coat can help you do just that. Of course there are fur options because this wouldn’t be me if there weren’t. My affinity for fur only continues to prove that I am a classy old women currently living in a thirty something body. You just WAIT until I hit 50 – call me Cruella DeVille.
from L to R: Topshop Bomber Sleeved // Mackage Mai Wrap Coat // Helene Berman Fur Cuff Coat // J. Crew Stadium Cloth Coat // dRA Camille Coat // Tularosa Phiffer Coat
2. Handbag – I’ve been a bag lady since I was a young girl. If I hated dresses that hate did not transfer to purses I assure you. At one point my mother had to tell me on each trip I took to the mall not to come home bearing a new purse. It was my weakness. Times haven’t changed much – just my budget. Want those new jeans and favorite tee to take on something fresh? Rock a brand new purse. Like these.
from L to R: Marc Jacobs Medium Star Print Backpack // Rebecca Minkoff Regan Satchel // Gucci Marmont Shoulder Bag // MCM Rabbit Crossbody // Loeffler Randall Mini Rider // Zara Mini Backpack // Charlotte Olympia Galatic Clutch // Zara Ocean Bag
3. Denim – New jeans, who dis? Full disclosure – I love denim but I have a hard time wearing it. Within the past ten years I’ve developed a slight allergy to denim. Often after an entire day’s wear my legs are profusely itchy and crying for relief, sadly this does not stop me from loving it. However I try to incorporate it it various ways throughout my wardrobe through shirts, dresses, or skirts which is awesome because the fabric is so multi-faceted. Here’s some options.
from L to R: citizens of humanity jumpsuit // one teaspoon Napoleon utility suit // Madewell denim Lace Up shirt // Topshop MOTO Denim shirt // Madewell denim hem step dress // Topshop MOTO Leigh Pant // Nasty Gal Glamorous Embroidered Jacket // COH Carlie Hi-Lo pant
4. Jewelry – One of the easiest ways to up the ante on your closet is with accessories. So empty that old jewelry box and start anew with some fresh baubles. I’ve jumped in by using Rocksbox, read about that here. But also check out some these cool places where you can give those old hoops a rest.
from L to R: gorjana Amara ear climber // Topshop Hexagon ball drop earring // Bauble Bar Madelhari Bib // David Yurman classic cable bangle // Topshop split ring // Petit a petit & girlgang bangle // Bauble Bar Lariat choker
5. A hairstyle – There’s an old saying, “when a women cuts her hair, she’s ready to make a change.” Now I’m not saying you’ve got to take the sheers to your precious locks but I am saying give it a little love. Perhaps some color? I talked about my color regimen here. Or perhaps switch that part up – go for the middle look girlfriend. If I was going to make a leap here’s some looks that are giving me ideas:
from L to R: All styles found: here
New years can make some feel nervous but with these 5 tips I hope I’ve helped take a little pressure off of you, here’s to a new year, better you in 2017!